Wednesday, January 30, 2013

PANTRY VERY SKINNY. WHAT TO MAKE?

  Windy day today, but warm so all the windows open.  Feeling a little overwhelmed today.  This is why you always want to cook double and freeze one so on these kind of days you can just whip something in the oven.  But since I do not have alot in the freezer right now I need to suck it up and cook.  Once I start cooking I will probably get in the mood to cook.  I checked the pantry and shut it and opened the freezer then back to the pantry ugh!  Ok I seen a recipe on my computer the other day and it was for spicy pork chili.  I have pork steak, beans?  I have a bag of lentils, that will work.  Now I need tomatoes, I have no tomatoes but I do have a large can of tomato soup.  That will work!  I have frozen green pepper and onions.    I always put carrots chopped up in my chili and I have those so so I think its a go.

  I baked the pork chops while chopping veggies and threw them in with the lentils and water, chicken boullion, salt, pepper, chili powder, italian seasoning, sugar, tomato soup, onions, green pepper, and carrots.
When all the veggies and beans were tender I cut up the cooked pork and drop in the soup.  Simmered  for about a half hour to let the pork soak up the seasoning.  Served with a nice loaf of homemade bread and crackers.




  I made enough soup that I can freeze some for the weekend.  Tomorrow I need to make bread for the weekend so I won't have to buy any.  I think I will make a pecan pie tomorrow because I have leftover pecans from making Christmas cookies.

  I am thawing a ham that I got for half off on sale last Friday.  I figure I can cook it and chop it into bags and freeze for on homemade pizza, in scrambled eggs, ham sandwiches, and senate bean soup.  This 11 dollar ham is going to go a long way.

  I did something new today also to go with my saving containers from food items for food storage.  I usually buy my cheese in the 8 dollar bag and its the size of a gallon size ziploc bag.  I had 2 of them and instead of throwing them away I ran a sink of hot soapy water and threw both of them inside out into the water and cleaned and rinsed them and put them over my utensil holder to dry.    I was out of gallon sized bags and now I have 2 to put my loaves of bread I make tomorrow in and it was FREE!  This probably sounds corny to some of you but my grandparents lived through the depression and these are the things they did and my grandpa still has depression chips because he didn't even have to use all of them because he was very frugal and smart and he had 6 kids.  Waste not, Want not was what he lived by.  Must of worked!



    I am strapped with money this week but still want to have decent meals and I am one who likes something sweet sometime after dinner so I am going to make a list of frugal desserts and snacks that I don't have to buy very much to make and make ahead so I can relax with everyone else this weekend (well as much as a mom can relax).

  Hoping to go fishing this weekend with the kids.  Its frugal fun and hopefully we would come home with a couple meals!  I love to fish and haven't been able to do it very much but I am determined to start going at least once a month.



  I think there will be a walk this weekend with the family and play a game with the kids also.  After all week  of hard work at our homeschool the kids deserve to have some fun activities.

   What do all of you do for frugal fun with the family on the weekend?   What meals and snacks do you cook?  
Pin It! Read more at http://www.kevinandamanda.com/whatsnew/tutorials/add-a-pin-it-button-to-your-posts.html#ixzz2J84neUj2

No comments:

Post a Comment