Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Big Plans for Today(VEGGIE BURGERS, TORTILLA SHELLS)

  Well I go to bed every night with paper and pen in case I have an idea or think of a recipe I want to try. I just know if I do not write it down I will forget by morning and I usually always come up with all  my best ideas right before I go to sleep.  Of course I wake up having slept on my pen and paper but oh well I at least   I have the ideas wrote down.

  Anyway about a week ago I found chicken quarters on sale at Aldi's for .39 cents a pound so I bought forty pounds with the thought that I would cook it a bag at a time in the crockpot overnight, take the meat off the bone, chop it up and freeze in bowls to use in the place of beef.  I did this and the first batch I froze a bowl of stock and got 4 bowls of cut up chicken.  The next batch I took the meat off  the bone and froze 3 bowls.  I poured the stock through a fine strainer into my big stockpot and chopped carrots, celery and onions up and dropped them in the stock.  I let that boil till veggies were tender,  while that was cooking I mixed up a batch of egg noodles (I will be adding this recipe) and dropped them in along with a couple handfuls of cut up chicken, salt, pepper and a couple tsp of chicken boullion granules (to taste).  Very cheap to make but full of protein because of the eggs in the noodles and the chicken and full of veggies.  One of my favorite frugal meals.  I made a batch of bread dough in the breadmaker (I will be adding this recipe soon), when that was done I put oil in a frying pan and turned on high to get hot then turned it down to 4  1/2 on my electric stove and then flattened out golf ball size pieces of dough  and dropped into pan to slowly (but not to slowly or it will soak up the oil) brown on each side. Fried bread is very frugal and delicious.

EGG NOODLE RECIPE
2 cups flour
3 egg yolks
1 egg
2 teaspoons salt
1/4-1/2 cup water
Directions:

1
Measure flour into bowl; make a well in the center and add egg yolks, whole egg and salt.
2
With hands, thoroughly mix egg into flour.
3
Add water, 1 tablespoon at a time, mixing thoroughly after each addition.
4
(Add only enough water to form dough into a ball.).
5
Turn dough onto well-floured board; knead until smooth and elastic, about 10 minutes.
6
Cover; let rest 10 minutes.
7
Divide dough into 4 equal parts.
8
Roll dough, 1 part at a time, into paper-thin rectangle, keeping remaining dough covered.
9
I use pizza cutter to cut into whatever size you want.
10
Cook in 3 quarts boiling salted water (1 tablespoon salt) (We use chicken broth.) 12 to 15 minutes or until tender.
11
Drain thoroughly.

    I got up way to early for my liking but the grandbabies needed fed, changed and dressed because my daughter had to work.  So up to realize that we had not picked up the living room the night before. Ughh!  I really wish the cleaning fairy would stop in once in awhile cause waking up to a mess is a bad way to start my day. I bypassed the mess to head to kitchen where one highchair was clean and one was not, so that was the first thing on my list to do. Got the kids in their chairs and then looked for something they would eat.  Luckily I made extra pancakes a couple days earlier and that is their favorite so pancakes it is.  Threw them in the toaster (my new favorite way of reheating them) to crisp on the outside slightly and they heat just right. Syrup is a big hit for them so they got plenty of that.  Then my granddaughter thought a big scoop of cranberry sauce would be good so thats just what she got and she ate it all.   Got them done, out, cleaned up, changed and off playing with their toys and watching Dora and I was off to start cooking.

  I have a freezer out in my garage that has not too much left in it because I wanted to get it to a point that I could clean it out so we are using all the food in it up so I can do that.  I went out there and remembered I had bought an extra turkey at Thanksgiving because they had the deal spend 20 on groceries and get your turkey for .49 cents a pound so I bought the biggest one I could find at 28 pounds.  I took it out so it could thaw till Friday and then I'll cook it with mashed potatoes and a veggie then I could take all the meat off the bone and make it into BBQ's for Sat. and boil the rest for chicken noodle soup on Sunday or just freeze the stock for later.  I paid 10 dollars for a turkey that will feed a family of 8 for  3 days for sure and probably the leftovers could be froze for even more meals and lunches.

    I had soaked pinto beans last night so I rinsed those and boiled them till tender and them drained and cooled them.  I had found a recipe for veggie burgers using pinto beans so I thought well I don't have everything they called for in the recipe but I knew I could figure it out so I found the recipe (half the battle) and realized it called for an egg which I am out of, then I remembered I had used egg yolks in a recipe a couple weeks earlier and had froze the whites in a bowl so I thawed them and threw them in, then it called for panko bread crumbs and I had italian  so I threw them in, it called for cumin and cilantro and I am out so I thought, I have a pack of taco seasoning so I threw it in for flavor and mixed it all up.  I had to add extra bread crumbs and I decided to add a half cup of parmesan cause I have alot of it and it tends to thicken things up.  I mixed up and fried in small amount of oil and kids loved them.  It made a ton and it cost very little. (I will add this recipe also).    I am new to blogging so I have to figure out how to add pix but when I figure it out I will add pix of all the meals I make.





  Use your extra grocery bags in the bottom of your bowl to drain any left over oil off the veggie burgers and save your paper towels, if you buy them.  I use wash-clothes for spills so I can wash and reuse instead of  wasting money on something your going to have to replace every-time you use it.





  I wanted to make black bean, chicken burritos a couple days ago and didn't have any tortilla shells so I though well they cannot be to hard to make and guess what they are easy!  Six cups of flour, 2 tsp salt, 2/3 cup and water and roll into golf ball size balls and then roll out and cook on med. on a very lightly sprayed pan and it makes 32  eight inch tortillas that taste great!  I will get this recipe to you tomorrow because it is very late and I am already doing the count down as to how many hours I will get it I go to bed in a half hour.  There is never enough hours in the day.


Ingredients

  • 3 cups all purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/3 cup vegetable oil
  • 1 cup warm tap water

Directions

In a large bowl blend together flour and oil using a fork. Dissolve the salt in the warm water and slowly add water to flour mixture until dough comes together. Shape into a ball and knead for 3 minutes. Return dough to bowl, cover with with plastic wrap and let sit for at least 30 minutes. Divide dough into 12 golf ball size pieces. Roll each piece into a 8 inch round using a rolling pin or a bottle. Cook the tortillas in a hot skillet over medium high heat until each side is slightly browned. Wrap in foil and keep in warm oven until ready to use. Unused tortillas may be stored wrapped in the refrigerator






   I have so many ideas to share on here.  Hopefully they will be as helpful to you as they have been to me. I have alot of little projects for instance I have taken a picture of the top of my fridge.  In every place I have ever lived it is a catch all.  I will be organizing that and only using things I make or find in the house and repurpose.  I will take post the pix of before and after and show you what I used.  My room is also a catch-all and I will be breaking it down into sections and giving you ideas on how to do it yourself and how I get it done.

  Well lots more to tell but gotta sleep unfortunately.  I'll be back tomorrow with some or all of the recipes I talked about.  Later!

Pin It! Read more at http://www.kevinandamanda.com/whatsnew/tutorials/add-a-pin-it-button-to-your-posts.html#ixzz2J84neUj2

No comments:

Post a Comment